dsc_0004Believe it or not the Lotus has a boot and, contrary to popular belief, it can hold quite a bit for a two-seater convertible. I found a can of tyre foam in there the other day which was a surprise – I’ve been packing round it for years. So what else is in the back of a Lotus then? Let me show you…


First off, there’s the engine. This, as you would imagine, takes up quite a lot of space. So much so that the battery cannot fit in the engine bay and has to hide in the corner of the boot under a bit of carpet. It’s easily accessible.

With the ‘luggage compartment’, the first thing to notice is that it comes with a weight limit – a whopping 50kg.

This means that a Lotus is no good if you want to dispose of a body secretly (unless you’re willing to chop it up and make two trips). There’s a warning triangle in the boot as well as a little pocket at the back. In this you will find a tool kit, a bottle of water, a roof cover and most importantly, a roll of duct tape – I’ll explain later.

Do I really need all these things in the boot? The short answer is yes, and here’s what they are used for:

The tool kit comes as standard and is needed to take the hard top roof off (Lotus decided that a powered roof would weigh too much – plus there’s nowhere for the roof to fold into). There are some allen keys in there to take the front panels off (to access the screen wash) and the wheel nut locking keys.


As the engine is a Rover-K-Series, it needs to be topped up with water regularly to avoid the head gasket from, er, exploding (small design flaw). Any brand of bottled water will do; Northumberland’s finest works for me. I keep a fire extinguisher in the car too in case the worst happens.

The roof cover is to store the soft top in. This roof folds up and can fit in the boot with a bit of persuasion.

Last but not least, we come to the duct tape. Yes, the duct tape. Very important. I was driving up the M6 one day, overtaking a lorry, when the indicator housing decided to make a bid for freedom. The catch had snapped and it flew out and started banging against the bodywork. As a result there was no way I could pop it back in. It was hanging by a wire (literally) and removing it wasn’t an option

There, I fixed it!

as I would have had no indicator for the rest of my journey. Instead, I pulled into the service station and bought a roll of duct tape. The engineer in me came up with a temporary solution to the problem and the duct tape has lived in the boot ever since, just in case anything else falls off on my travels. It’s also handy if ever I need to tie up a body and throw it in the boot. Of course, that’s if I have the time to make two trips…